Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I do a job away from home once a year in another state and I was wondering if i can deduct the amount i pay for meals with per diem rate.

Hello
I do a job away from home once a year in another state and the agency that gets me that job pays for hotel and car. I was wondering if i can deduct the amount i pay for meals with per diem rate. Self employed worker with a 1099 from the job away for greater than 3 weeks from my physical home for periods up to 6 months

I also do a job for another agency at my physical address that generates a 1099.

Would i be consider a qualifed traveler to get the per diem rate for meals with the job away from home in another state or would i be considered to live in two states throughout the year and not a qualified traveler and therefore cannot take a meal deduction. I travel between both locations when i am on assignment maybe once or twice. The hotel or apartment is paid for by the agency usually an airbnb.

Thank you
Notice 2021-25, Temporary 100-Percent Deduction for Business Meal Expenses
Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses
Tax Topic 511 - Business Travel Expenses
https://www.gsa.gov/
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I do a job away from home once a year in another state and I was wondering if i can deduct the amount i pay for meals with per diem rate.

Carl
Level 15

W-2 job related expenses are not deductible. This includes any and all travel and vehicle expenses.

If you are self-employed, then travel expenses are claimed on the SCH C. See all the categories in the SCH C section of the program for business expenses. Travel expenses is one of those sub-categories.

The real question is the scenario I have given qualify for a tax deduction.

I am self employed for part of the year where I travel away from home a company pays for my lodging and car. I pay for my meals. That lodging is my home for six months. I can take the per diem rate off meals.

I live in another state where when I return I do my other self employment business (personal home).  For the state in which I do not live can I deduct the per diem rate for meals which for me is about 52$ per day. This adds up to close to 12K for the time I am there. I am not sure if that is allowed or if the IRS will consider the apartment the company got me for the 6 months I was away from home getting a 1099 my permanent home. 

That was my question.

Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies