Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lisa6580

Need the steps of how to enter this into TT?Lived in house 2 of 5 yrs prior to selling in 2018.We qualify for the exclusion but TT doesn't seem to be excluding it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Need the steps of how to enter this into TT?Lived in house 2 of 5 yrs prior to selling in 2018.We qualify for the exclusion but TT doesn't seem to be excluding it.

Owning your home for 2 out of the 5 years alone doesn't exclude you.

To see what else you must do, search for "eligibility test" in Publication 523, Selling Your Home:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p523#en_US_2018_publink10008937

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Owning your home for 2 out of the 5 years alone doesn't exclude you.

To see what else you must do, search for "eligibility test" in Publication 523, Selling Your Home:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p523#en_US_2018_publink10008937

lisa6580

Yes I’m aware:) I had 170 characters to write my original question and couldn’t add those details. We qualify for the exclusion, so my original question stands, what are the steps to enter the sale in turbo tax?
Thanks!

Here's the answer to your original question:

1.  Click Federal Taxes across the top.

2.  Click Wages & Income across the top.

3.  Click I’ll choose what I work on.

4.  Scroll down to Less Common Income.

5.  Click Start or Update by Sale of Home (gain or loss).

lisa6580

I did that however it is still taxing me $17k for capital gains and we are well under the 250k single/500k married exclusion limit
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies