tpancetta

I contributed to an HSA last year but did not have an distributions, do I need to upgrade?

BMcCalpin

The HSA "form" is form 8889.

The IRS requires you to file form 8889 (for the Health Savings Account) if you:

• made a contribution in 2016,
  • took a distribution in 2016, or
  • inherited the HSA during 2016

If there is a code "W" in box 12 on your W-2, then you and/or your employer made contributions to the HSA. If you entered a 1099-SA, then you took distributions from your HSA.

It's really in your best interests to file form 8889, because until you submit a complete form 8889 (which TurboTax will complete based on your answers in the HSA interview), the IRS assumes that all contributions to and distributions from your HSA are taxable, and they will send you a letter to that effect asking for the completed form or the tax.

Because form 8889 requires form 1040, form 8889 is part of TurboTax Deluxe and higher versions.

tpancetta

Thank you for responding.

I made contributions in 2016, but there were no distributions. I did not receive a 1099-SA from my HSA for this reason.

I believe the system is working off the assumption that because I made contributions to an HSA that I also have had distributions. This is not actually the case.

Is filing an 8889 necessary if I do not have a 1099-SA and there were no distributions from my HSA?
BMcCalpin

As you can see above, you have to file the 8889 if there was a contribution OR a distribution OR an inheritance.