Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sgoldner1

I claim the child care credit ,I paid a total of $16,800 to my mother for the year.... how does she claim that $16,800 as income

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I claim the child care credit ,I paid a total of $16,800 to my mother for the year.... how does she claim that $16,800 as income

You would issue her a Form W-2. She is your household employee. Please see the following for how to treat a parent who is a household employee.

If the parent is performing services for the child, but not for the child’s trade or business:

• Payments for services of a parent are not subject to social security and Medicare taxes unless the services are for domestic services and each of the following applies:
    • You employ your parent,
    • You have a child or stepchild living in the home,
    • You are a widow or widower, divorced, or living with a spouse, who because of a mental or physical condition, can't care for the child or stepchild for at least 4 continuous weeks in a calendar quarter and
    • The child or stepchild is either under age 18 or requires the personal care of an adult for at least 4 continuous weeks in a calendar quarter due to a mental or physical condition.
  • Payments for services of a parent are not subject to FUTA tax regardless of the type of services provided.

Did your mother watch the child in YOUR home?  Or did she watch the child in her own home?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies