Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can't file my finalize my taxes due to Foreign Earned Income entry

I am employed by a US company, but I reside overseas. Recently, while filing my taxes, I attempted to determine if I was eligible for the Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion. Unfortunately, I did not meet the requirements and had to file my taxes conventionally. However, when I attempted to finalize my taxes, I kept encountering an error message "Needs Review" due to the FEIE. The review directed me to Form 2555-S line 26, which had a value of 0. The message stated, "Total Foreign income has a value... but dates for the foreign earned income exclusions aren't entered." I attempted to correct the entry by answering "No" for Foreign income, but the error persisted. I also attempted to enter "Yes" and add a 0 value, but the same issue occurred. I am unable to proceed due to this entry error. Any ideas how to bypass this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

First go to federal>wages and income>less common income>Foreign income and Exclusion. Remove all entries from this section.

Now go to Go to the black panel on the left side of your screen in your online program.

1. Now, click on Tax Tools in the black left menu bar at the bottom of the form
  2. Go to tools>delete a form Delete all forms that reference 2555.
  3. log out of your program and then log back in again and see if this nasty error still exists.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

First go to federal>wages and income>less common income>Foreign income and Exclusion. Remove all entries from this section.

Now go to Go to the black panel on the left side of your screen in your online program.

1. Now, click on Tax Tools in the black left menu bar at the bottom of the form
  2. Go to tools>delete a form Delete all forms that reference 2555.
  3. log out of your program and then log back in again and see if this nasty error still exists.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies