Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gbarlin

I bought a raffle ticket ($150) for a wine cellar worth $1000 at a charity auction. I won the raffle & gifted the prize back to the charity. Can any of this be deducted?

I understand that the cost of raffle tickets is not deductible.  The "wine cellar" was $1000 to spend at an online wine site. 
 I received a tax form from the charity acknowledging the donation of the wine cellar worth $1000.  I did not receive a tax form from them acknowledging that I had won the prize as I never took possession of the virtual wine cellar.   Don't know if I would also need to claim it as income in that situation?  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I bought a raffle ticket ($150) for a wine cellar worth $1000 at a charity auction. I won the raffle & gifted the prize back to the charity. Can any of this be deducted?

You can’t deduct something that didn’t cost you anything. 

you do not get a 1099 for raffle winnings but a W-2G if it's required. in addition, the iRS states that for that form to be required 2 conditions must be met the winnings are over $600 and the prize is worth more than 300 times the cost of the ticket.  so you have $1,000 of income reported on Schedule 1 line 8i and a$1,000 charitable contribution 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies