Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought a printer, a scanner and an inexpensive laptop. Each item was under $300, so I'd rather expense them than depreciate. Where do I put them - in Office Expenses?

Or in Other Miscellaneous Expenses?  I don't see inexpensive equipment listed in an expense category in Turbo Tax.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

I bought a printer, a scanner and an inexpensive laptop. Each item was under $300, so I'd rather expense them than depreciate. Where do I put them - in Office Expenses?

Yes, you may enter these type of purchases under any reasonable business expense category found under "Other Common Expenses" (see screenshot #1 below - click to enlarge).

Office Expenses is one choice, or you can enter a custom description under Other Miscellaneous Expenses (screenshot #2).

Note If you enter a general business expense in the wrong category, it will not affect your taxes. Just be sure you don't enter the same expense twice.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may enter these type of purchases under any reasonable business expense category found under "Other Common Expenses" (see screenshot #1 below - click to enlarge).

Office Expenses is one choice, or you can enter a custom description under Other Miscellaneous Expenses (screenshot #2).

Note If you enter a general business expense in the wrong category, it will not affect your taxes. Just be sure you don't enter the same expense twice.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The comment that if you put expenses in the wrong category it won't affect your taxes, just don't enter them twice. So no flags will be raised if a larger $ appears let's say in utilities versus Other or Office expenses?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies