CHOIK

I am working is US as intern with J1 Visa. Am I considered as non resident alien?

I am doing 1 year my internship by exchange visa(J-1) from March, 2019. Now I need to tax file, but I am not sure what is my status for tax purpose. Am I considered resident or non resident? It should affect my tax due significantly.

DanaB27

As a J-1 visa holder, you are considered as a nonresident for the first two years since you entered the US.  You will need to file Form 1040NR ( U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return) using our partner Sprintax

DanaB27