glidwelld

I am trying to enter my property tax i paid on my house, but my box 10 on my 1098 has 0.00

AmyT

There is no box for real estate tax on the standard (IRS) mortgage interest statement, although many banks now use "box 10" for real estate taxes paid.  You may have to look to other sources to get the amount of real estate taxes paid.

Note:  Any real estate taxes paid through your mortgage escrow account is not included in the interest figure - it will be listed separately if the information is provided.

Many banks do include this information as a courtesy to customers who pay their real estate tax through an escrow account, but it is not required.  If an escrow statement is included, the payments can usually be found listed with the activity.  Other banks list it as a line item on the substitute (using their own format) 1098.

If the information is not listed on the 1098, you should be able to get it from your county assessor's office.