Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am executor of my mom's will. I have sold her home and need to distribute the proceeds of the sale among her beneficiaries. How do I file taxes on her estate?

File taxes for an estate?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I am executor of my mom's will. I have sold her home and need to distribute the proceeds of the sale among her beneficiaries. How do I file taxes on her estate?

You can file a Form 1041 for estate to report the transaction.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#en_US_2023_publink1000285942

If you have never done this before, you might want to consult with a local tax professional.

See https://taxexperts.naea.org/expertdirectory

If the estate income was less than $600 in 2024,

you don't need to file a 2024 estate return.

@fanfare 

if the home was sold by the executor (personal representative) of the estate, then the estate likely has gross income of $600 or more but, regardless of that, the transaction would have to be reported to establish the sales price and basis.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies