Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am claiming the purchase of equipment for 2023 section 179. My question is that for my 2022 I did not claim any depreciation for equipment purchases. My options?

Can I combine the 2022 purchase and 2023 for my section 179.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I am claiming the purchase of equipment for 2023 section 179. My question is that for my 2022 I did not claim any depreciation for equipment purchases. My options?

No, you can only take the section 179 expense allowance for assets in the year you place the asset into service for the business. If you fail to make the election, you have six months from the due date of the return (excluding extensions) to amend the return to take the section 179 deduction. You can't enter an asset used in the business in 2022 on your 2023 tax return and take the section 179 allowance for it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

you need to amend 2022 to take the depreciation. if you don't do it for 2022, at some point you may lose the deduction forever. You can not take the depreciation you could have taken in 2022 in 2023

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies