Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am building a home (primary residence, new construction). There are no loans involved. What deductions can I take during this process?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I am building a home (primary residence, new construction). There are no loans involved. What deductions can I take during this process?

Property taxes paid.

The cost of building materials to build your new home is not deductible. Instead, it’s part of the cost basis of purchasing your home which you will use when you sell it.

But if you paid sales tax on the building materials, and you itemize your deductions, that may be deductible. You would add the sales tax to the general sales tax table amount for your area.Your total sales tax would have to be higher than your state and local income taxes. Plus, your total itemized deductions must be higher than the new increased 2018 Standard Deduction.

You would enter the amount from your receipts under Federal Taxes/Deductions and Credits.

• Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid.
  • Choose Sales Tax and continue.
  • Choose Easy Guide (see screenshot).
  •  On the Major Purchases screen, say yes.
  • Enter the type as Building Materials.

• Continue all the way through the section.

You may also be entitled to a federal tax credit if you used energy-efficient materials in constructing the home.

I know your response is a couple years old, but it is the most relevant to my question.

Are you referring specifically to things like all propane appliances? (our situation) tankless water heater (propane).  Or do you include actual home construction materials?

How can I determine or locate eligibility of what I can claim in my new construction?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies