Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

harowp

Will I be able to deduct home equity loan for 2018 tax year. I was told that it will no longer be deductible. Starting 2018.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Will I be able to deduct home equity loan for 2018 tax year. I was told that it will no longer be deductible. Starting 2018.

Mortgage interest is still a deductible itemized deduction in 2018, just like it was in 2017.

The change, however, is the Standard Deduction is going to be $12,000 for single and $24,000 for married filing Joint.

The total itemized deductions need to exceed this amount before it starts impacting the return and lowering your taxes.

So many that itemize in 2017, may not be able to in 2018 as the standard deduction may be higher for them.  

Home Equity 

Home Equity is deductible in 2018 if it considered: Acquisition indebtedness is defined as “indebtedness that is secured by the residence and that is incurred in acquiring, constructing, or substantially improving any qualified residence of the taxpayer”.  It seems likely, under this definition, if you took out a home equity loan to build an addition on your house, that would be classified as a “substantial improvement” and you would be able to continue to deduct the interest on that home equity loan in 2018. Where we need help from the IRS is further clarification on the definition of “substantial improvement”.

See below for more details on itemizing.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6598809

harowp

I am aware that mortgage interest is deductible, the question is specifically about home equity loan, the tax laws have changed on the home equity loans.

Home Equity is deductible in 2018 if it considered: Acquisition indebtedness is defined as “indebtedness that is secured by the residence and that is incurred in acquiring, constructing, or substantially improving any qualified residence of the taxpayer”.  It seems likely, under this definition, if you took out a home equity loan to build an addition on your house, that would be classified as a “substantial improvement” and you would be able to continue to deduct the interest on that home equity loan in 2018. Where we need help from the IRS is further clarification on the definition of “substantial improvement”.

I will edit the answer above to add it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies