Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am asked to provide a property classification for my residential homesteaded property. But my property tax statement does not give me a code?

The drop down box doesn't provide a generic residential homestead option and my property tax statement doesn't give me a code.  How do I choose the correct code?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

I am asked to provide a property classification for my residential homesteaded property. But my property tax statement does not give me a code?

Assuming you are referring to the Minnesota property classification for the MN property tax statement worksheet, Form M1PR instructions - Minnesota Department of Revenue shows property types as follows: homestead, non-homestead, commercial, and special homestead (blind or disabled).

When you go through the Minnesota entry screens in TurboTax, there is a dropdown box for property classification. The first selection is Residential Homestead; when you select this, then the box changes to code 1a automatically.

A class 1a residential homestead is a property owned by a Minnesota resident and is occupied by that person as their primary residence. See here for more information from the State of Minnesota on this topic.

Please see this thread for another discussion of this topic. 

A few other states have similar property tax classification systems.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies