Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yikiri728
Returning Member

I am an itinerant travel nurse. Do I need to report the housing and meal stipends as income, and where in turbotax do I go for that?

The stipends are not included in my W2 but they are in my earnings statement.  I do not have a tax home other than where I am working.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I am an itinerant travel nurse. Do I need to report the housing and meal stipends as income, and where in turbotax do I go for that?

Since this reimbursement was not included on your W-2 you probably have an "Accountable Plan". In this case, you do not need to report any of the reimbursements as income.

Employers reimburse employees in one of two ways.

Accountable Plan:  Must meet three requirements:

1. You must have paid or incurred expenses that are deductible while performing services as an employee.

2. You must adequately account to your employer for these expenses within a reasonable time period, and

3. You must return any excess reimbursement or allowance within a reasonable time period.

Non-Accountable Plan:

The payments you receive should be included in the wages shown on your Form W-2. You must report the income and itemize your deductions to deduct these expenses.

Generally, you would report these expenses on form 2106 or 2106-EZ.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies