Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am an independent registered nurse contractor with a 1099-misc. I was able to enter my mileage. Where do I enter deductions for RN license, continuing education, scrubs

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I am an independent registered nurse contractor with a 1099-misc. I was able to enter my mileage. Where do I enter deductions for RN license, continuing education, scrubs

Yes, you will be able to deduct a portion of your vehicle miles that relate to your business use of your vehicle.

Please refer to this IRS link for more information of transportation costs related to business expenses:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch04.html.

If you are self-employed and are considered an independent contractor, you will be able to deduct these business expenses under the business section in TurboTax.

Please refer to this IRS link for more information about business expenses:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p334/ch08.html#en_US_2014_publink1000313521

To enter business income and related expenses into TurboTax Online or Desktop in TurboTax Home and Business, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Business"” tab
  2. Next click on “I’ll choose what I work on” (jump to full list)
  3. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Business Income and Expense
  4. Choose “Profit or Loss from Business ” and select start/revisit/update.
  5. If your business is already listed, choose to "edit"
  6.  You will eventually get to a screen titled "Your () Business"
  7. Scroll down to Business Expenses and select "Other Common Business Expenses". (screenshot #1)
  8. For any expenses not listed, you can enter these as other miscellaneous expenses.
  9. Select "Other Miscellaneous Expenses" and enter the type of expense and the amounts here. (screenshot #2)

View solution in original post

6 Replies

I am a contracted Registered Nurse however I am not an LLC. What is my Business name?
DS30

Yes, you will be able to deduct a portion of your vehicle miles that relate to your business use of your vehicle.

Please refer to this IRS link for more information of transportation costs related to business expenses:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch04.html.

If you are self-employed and are considered an independent contractor, you will be able to deduct these business expenses under the business section in TurboTax.

Please refer to this IRS link for more information about business expenses:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p334/ch08.html#en_US_2014_publink1000313521

To enter business income and related expenses into TurboTax Online or Desktop in TurboTax Home and Business, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Business"” tab
  2. Next click on “I’ll choose what I work on” (jump to full list)
  3. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Business Income and Expense
  4. Choose “Profit or Loss from Business ” and select start/revisit/update.
  5. If your business is already listed, choose to "edit"
  6.  You will eventually get to a screen titled "Your () Business"
  7. Scroll down to Business Expenses and select "Other Common Business Expenses". (screenshot #1)
  8. For any expenses not listed, you can enter these as other miscellaneous expenses.
  9. Select "Other Miscellaneous Expenses" and enter the type of expense and the amounts here. (screenshot #2)

lynnwoodside
Returning Member

I am a salaried RN for a large company and do not have a 1099. My job requires me to be licensed but the company does not reimburse me for the cost. Where do I enter expenses for RN license renewal and required continuing education?

neither item is deductible for federal income tax purposes through 2025 because you are an employee. such expenses may be deductible for your state if it has an income tax.   there would be a state only itemized deduction worksheet

lynnwoodside
Returning Member

Thank you for responding!

I am in Texas with no state income tax so I'm out of luck.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@lynnwoodside  Although a few states allow a deduction, most do not.

Your "out of luck" status comes from the company your work for.  Although employees are not allowed to deduct job expenses, employers are allowed to deduct their employee's expenses.  Most "large companies" have a policy of reimbursing their employees for professional license fees. It's done  on a tax free basis, if the employer has an "accountable plan".  

Check with your employer, if they have a such a plan.  They may not be aware that you can no longer (since 2018) get such deductions on your personal return, but they can deduct it on their business return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies