Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am an F1 visa holder and resident for tax purposes (>5 years in the US). I married abroad in 2023 and my spouse did not live in the US in 2023. How should I file taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I am an F1 visa holder and resident for tax purposes (>5 years in the US). I married abroad in 2023 and my spouse did not live in the US in 2023. How should I file taxes?

@guil95864  a few questions first 

(a) when did you enter this country   ( 2018 or 2019 );  which country are you from  ?

(b) where does your spouse live: is she working  / earning  an income in that country ?

(c) are you still in school or are awaiting your work visa   ( H1-B or similar ) or using EAD for OPT etc >

I will circle back once I hear from you .

@pk 
(a) I was a J1 holder for 2 months in 2015 and then F1 holder since 2018 (I filed taxes as resident last year). I am from Peru.
(b) I married my wife (also from Peru) in May2023 and she  did not live in the US during 2023, she obtained her F2 visa in Dec 2023. She moved in with me in Jan 2024. During 2023, she was a small business owner and paid taxes in our home country.
(c) I have an EAD under STEM OPT.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@guil95864 , please may I come back to you  by the end of my day ( Mexico )?   I need to look up a  little about Peru's taxation regime -- know that US and Peru does not have a double taxation treaty.

I need to understand how Peru would tax your wife's income  before I take a position on whether it will be better for you to file a Married Fling Joint or Married Filing Separate.

hasta luego

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@guil95864 , on going through Peru's tax regs./scheme for  domiciled persons and looking at the tax brackets/deductions,  ( including the standard income units  that can be excluded  from taxable income),   I think it may be more  tax  beneficial for you to  file as   Married Filing Separate ( MFS) -- the only disadvantage  thereby  are : (1) you get the standard deduction of a single,  (2)  you have to provide  her details  as NRA  and (3) you have to file by mail..

If you choose this path, you prepare the return as MFS, use a dummy Social Security/ ITIN for purposes of satisfying the software,, once done, choose file by mail,  print the return.  Now  snopake ( erase)  the dummy TIN ( SSN or ITIN ) and replace with  "  NRA", sign, date and mail in the return.

If you choose the other path  i.e. want to file as  Married Filing Joint( MFJ) , :

(I)Prepare  return as per usual, using dummy TIN ( SSN/ITIN block) , replacing this "dummy TIN" with "NRA" as for  MFS above;

(II)Choose file by mail as above, print sign/date by both filers

(III) Include a written request signed by both  that the spouse/wife wants to be treated as resident for tax purposes for the year

(IV) Include her world income  along with yours for the  calendar year 2023;  you also have to file a form 1116  for Foreign Tax credit for the taxes she has paid to Peru --  while  dollar for dollar taxes paid is recognized the allowable amount for the current year would be limited by a ratio of total foreign income to Total World income;

(V) if she does not have an ITIN yet ( by the date of filing ) then you have to include a request for issuance of ITIN ( instead of SSN) form W-7 along with all the required documents proving eligibility.

(VI) The benefit of  MFJ filing status is that you get the  full / larger standard deduction and thereby reduce you tax liability. 

Is there more I can do for you ?

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies