Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

salenaig

I am a co-borrower on my new home, but my fiancé is going to file the 1098 form on his taxes, so do I still claim that I'm a home owner?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I am a co-borrower on my new home, but my fiancé is going to file the 1098 form on his taxes, so do I still claim that I'm a home owner?

If your fiance is claiming the mortgage and real estate taxes on his Schedule A, you do not need to claim that you are a homeowner anywhere on your Tax Return.  

You will simply take the Standard Deduction and he will use Schedule A to Itemize his Deductions.

Please see, How do I deduct mortgage interest if I co-owned the home? for more info.

[Edited 3/1/19 | 6:45PM EST]

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

If your fiance is claiming the mortgage and real estate taxes on his Schedule A, you do not need to claim that you are a homeowner anywhere on your Tax Return.  

You will simply take the Standard Deduction and he will use Schedule A to Itemize his Deductions.

Please see, How do I deduct mortgage interest if I co-owned the home? for more info.

[Edited 3/1/19 | 6:45PM EST]

Since you are not married, only the person who actually pays the mortgage can claim these deductions. If you both pay, you each claim can only your part.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies