turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If we did not max out our HSA for 2018, can we still do that?

If so, how?  I'm talking about a personal contribution to either the family one through my husband's employer OR my own personal one, set up to get the $1K catch-up.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are allowed to contribute up to $8900, provided that each of you has an HSA established in each one's name (which you have already stated that you do).  If you have already made the $1000 contribution to your account (your catch-up), the remaining amounts can go to either account.  The key is to make sure that they are categorized as a 2018 contribution, and not as a 2019 contribution.

You can do this in several ways.  If you do so through employer deductions, your 2019 taxable income will be reduced.  You can also choose to contribute out-of-pocket.  This reduces your 2018 taxable income.  In fact, you can claim the remaining deduction on your 2018 tax return before you even make it in order to get the extra deduction, as long as you make sure to contribute before the April 15 filing deadline.  

It is rare to do this through the employer, but the HSA interview has an entry if you choose to do so this way.  It is much more common to make this retroactive contribution out-of-pocket because of the immediate tax savings.  But you can contribute with either method.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Some caution.  Although you and your husband may have separate HSA's, there is a total limit of $6900 (plus a $1000 catch-up).  He cannot contribute $6900 to his and you $4450 to a separate HSA.  If that's not what you're looking to do, then, yes that can be done.  Let me know and I'll tell you how.

The $1,000 catch-up is for each of us, though, right?  Pretty sure it was on the IRS site that I found we could each get that, provided I had to set up a separate HSA in my name.  So is our total $6900 or $7900 (or $8900?)

His office puts in $2400 and I need to double-check, but it looks as if put $3K in the "family" one and $1,000 in mine in 2018.

(I also have a similar question about his Simple IRA, but do I need to start over again with a new question for that?)
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

The simple IRA is similar, but yes, post another question to get a specific answer for that.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are allowed to contribute up to $8900, provided that each of you has an HSA established in each one's name (which you have already stated that you do).  If you have already made the $1000 contribution to your account (your catch-up), the remaining amounts can go to either account.  The key is to make sure that they are categorized as a 2018 contribution, and not as a 2019 contribution.

You can do this in several ways.  If you do so through employer deductions, your 2019 taxable income will be reduced.  You can also choose to contribute out-of-pocket.  This reduces your 2018 taxable income.  In fact, you can claim the remaining deduction on your 2018 tax return before you even make it in order to get the extra deduction, as long as you make sure to contribute before the April 15 filing deadline.  

It is rare to do this through the employer, but the HSA interview has an entry if you choose to do so this way.  It is much more common to make this retroactive contribution out-of-pocket because of the immediate tax savings.  But you can contribute with either method.

We would be contributing out-of-pocket  (by April 15!) to take the deduction for 2018, but where do I put that on this year's form?  
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You will but the amount in the box Any Contributions you personally made.  The TurboTax interview does not differentiate between a contribution already made or one you will still make.  You enter it in as if you have already made it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies