Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hunter Douglas window shades federal tax credit on form 5695 Residential Energy Credits

Hi all,

I was hoping to have some help with an unusual question/situation.  Per the Hunter Douglas website:

• The federal government is now offering energy tax credits on select energy-efficient Hunter Douglas Duette® Honeycomb Shades—letting you earn 30% of the purchase price* back in the form of a tax credit, up to a maximum annual amount of $1200

I've looked at form 5695 and I don't see a specific line to request the credit, but I had another question re: limitations in claiming the credit.  I purchased a new home with a family member, and we file separately but will be living in this new place as our primary residence.  There's almost no information online about this credit and how to claim it on your actual tax return, but it seems like for this type of credit, we should both be able to claim the maximum $1200 amount on our returns - assuming we each spend over $4000 on window shades (sadly won't be difficult with Hunter Douglas). 

2023 Window Shades Federal Tax Energy Credit (hunterdouglas.com)

FTC-Consumer-FAQ.pdf (widen.net)

Am I wrong in thinking it's limited per filer, and not per address?  Thank you in advance for your time and help 🙂

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Hunter Douglas window shades federal tax credit on form 5695 Residential Energy Credits

Form 5695 is not scheduled to be updated until January 10.  check back after that date.

Note that the credit is 30% of materials only, not counting installation costs, and is capped at $500.

See below.

Further: I was partly incorrect above.

You are looking at a category called “energy efficient building envelope component”. These are items designed to reduce heat gain or loss, and include things like doors, windows, air sealing and insulation.  The credit is 30% of the product cost, not including installation, and the maximum credit is $1200.  There are sub-caps for doors ($250 each or $500 total) and windows ($600 per year) but there is no sub-cap for window shades, so the max would be $1200.

However, to qualify, efficient window shades must meet

the prescriptive criteria for such component established by the most recent International Energy Conservation Code standard in effect as of the beginning of the calendar year which is 2 years prior to the calendar year in which such component is placed in service.

In other words, for shades installed in 2023, the shades have to meet or exceed the 2021 IECC standards for energy efficiency.  You may need to consult the IECC web site or the manufacturer to make sure the shades you have picked out meet the IECC criteria.  If audited, you may need proof that the shades meet the standard, and you may need an itemized invoice from the installer showing the product cost separate from the installation cost. 

Lastly, if two people own the home and both live in it as their main home, they can each take the credit for the portion of the improvements that they paid for.  That could allow a total credit of more than $1200, but each taxpayer is capped at $1200.  You can't claim more than the total product cost between you.  For example, if you spent $5000, you could each claim $2500, resulting in a credit of $750 each.  But you can't claim $4000 each.   And remember you only include product cost, not installation. 

Hi Opus17,

Thank you so much for your thorough and very helpful reply.  My knowledge of tax forms is clearly very limited, and I had no idea forms for 2022 were not ready yet; I will make sure to check back for form 5695 after mid January.   Hunter Douglas has a very detailed pamphlet which lists exactly which shade fabric and size meet the federal tax credit criteria - the HD dealer and I have made sure to select shades from this list.  On the manufacturer's certification statement HD specifically refers to the 2021 International Energy Conservation Code you mentioned; I am very impressed with your extensive tax knowledge! 🙂

And thank you for confirming my understanding that two of us living in the home as a primary residence should be able to separately claim the credit on our returns.  Sadly the shades will be way over the $8K limit even without taxes so the $1200 credit apiece will not be difficult to achieve.   We will likely try to order around $4K apiece (with taxes, no installation costs for these shades - each order on a separate invoice from the HD dealer in each of our names), and wait until January to order the remaining shades as this credit is annual and should run until 2032.  

Thank you again for your generous time and assistance 🙂

@brownie20 wrote:

And thank you for confirming my understanding that two of us living in the home as a primary residence should be able to separately claim the credit on our returns.  Sadly the shades will be way over the $8K limit even without taxes so the $1200 credit apiece will not be difficult to achieve.   We will likely try to order around $4K apiece (with taxes, no installation costs for these shades - each order on a separate invoice from the HD dealer in each of our names), and wait until January to order the remaining shades as this credit is annual and should run until 2032.  

I should point out here that the credit is awarded when the product is installed, not when it is paid for.  So if you were to order and pay for half the project in 2023 but they were not installed until 2024, you would claim the credit in 2024 only.  Then, to claim another credit by delaying half the project, the second half could not be installed until 2025. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies