turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nollid78

HSA prior year after tax contribution

I recently opened a new HSA account with after-tax contributions for last year. I have no 1099SA for the account since it was  opened this year. I also have an employer sponsored HSA that I have entered already onto the tax forms. The only way I have found to add the after-tax contribution is to add it to the existing employer HSA for which I have a 1099SA.

Is there a way to enter the newly opened HSA account that has only contributions, no distributions? Just wondering if I would be flagged for showing contributions to one HSA, when the funds actually went into a different account.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

HSA prior year after tax contribution

"if I would be flagged for showing contributions to one HSA, when the funds actually went into a different account."

No, this is not a problem.

If you have two HSAs (as you appear to have), for purposes of your tax return, you treat them as one "virtual" HSA. That is, for the code W amount in box 12 of your W-2, and the direct contribution that appears on line 13 of Schedule 1 (1040), you don't actually identify the account numbers of the HSA accounts - you are just working with the "virtual" HSA.

If you find that you have no reason to have two HSA accounts, you can roll one over into the other tax-free. For convenience, you will probably have to keep the one that your employer helped you set up, because they probably won't want to contribute to your other one.

Remember that in any case, both HSAs are YOUR accounts - your employer has no control over them. When you leave your employer, you get to keep your HSA, in just the same way that you can keep an IRA (IRAs and HSAs share some similarities).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies