Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA Excess Earnings

Hello!

I want to make sure I understand where HSA excess contribution earnings should go. I received a 2023 1099-SA related to a 2022 HSA overcontribution. The overcontribution was noted in early 2023 and I had both the excess contribution and earnings removed before the tax deadline. The excess contribution was reported as other income via my 8889 form, but I need to do something similar for my excess earnings this year.

2023 1099-SA example: Box 1 Gross Distribution $1200. Box 2 Excess Earnings $200. Box 3 Distribution Code 2

Where exactly do I report the $200 excess earnings with this tax year? In Form 8889, part II 14a and 14b seem to cancel each other out ($1200-$1200). Nothing is triggered in the Schedule 1 other/additional income section.  Do I need to manually input the $200 of excess earnings? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

HSA Excess Earnings

In the HSA section of TurboTax you must indicate that you used the HSA to pay for something in 2023 so that TurboTax will prompt you to enter this Form 1099-SA.  TurboTax will include on Schedule 1 line 8f the amount from box 2.

HSA Excess Earnings

Ok.  I can get it to do that --but I didn't actually use the money for anything in particular, just had it direct deposited due to my mistake. Also, just want to be sure that's where it's supposed to go I guess. I looked at form 8889 and its instructions.  By reading through them, I don't know how Turbo Tax is deciding to place the number on 8f vs me putting it in 8z. Form 8889 lines 14a and 14b cancel each other out & I have no qualified medical expenses for line 15. It just seems like its magically placing that line there to me. Would you happen to know why?

dmertz
Level 15

HSA Excess Earnings

The code 2 in box 3 for the Form 1099-SA tells TurboTax to put the amount from box 2 onto Schedule 1 line 8f.

HSA Excess Earnings

Ok, that's interesting. Maybe so it's easier for the IRS to track? There doesn't seem to be anything to put on my Form 8889 line 16 and/or line 20 -- those are the lines whose totals state they'll get reported on Schedule 1, 8f. As it all gets reported as additional income on the 1040 and taxed, may be I should let it go though. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies