Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mplafleur

HSA contribution to multiple accounts

There was no sufficient answer in previous questions, so I will ask again.

I contribute to multiple HSAs. Why you ask? When my current employer first offered a high deductible plan, they did not provide an HSA to which we could contribute to. We had to find an HSA provider ourselves, to which I did (Optum Health). Now however, my employer does provide an HSA account (Blue Cross). I Contribute to both. My employer contributions show via my W2. However, now I find no option to include the contributions to my second HSA account. I had no issue in doing this in previous years, but not now. How can I add this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Currently, TurboTax does not support filing an 8889 for each HSA that you have.

However, the IRS instructions on page 10 in Pub 969 state:

"If, during the tax year, you are the beneficiary of two or more HSAs or you are a beneficiary of an HSA and you have your own HSA, you must complete a separate Form 8889 for each HSA. Enter “statement” at the top of each Form 8889 and complete the form as instructed. Next, complete a controlling Form 8889 combining the amounts shown on each of the statement Forms 8889. Attach the statements to your tax return after the controlling Form 8889."

You can crate this "controlling" 8889 by thinking of your two HSAs as a "virtual HSA". You have to do this anyway, because the sum of your contribution cannot exceed your annual HSA contribution limit.

So just enter data in the HSA interview, as if you had one mega-HSA.

P.S., in previous years, I assume that you entered contributions to your HSA as "personal" or "direct" contributions (i.e., no through your employer). You can still do that on the screen headed by "Let's enter [name]'s HSA contributions" on the second line (personal or direct).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

my desktop version only allows for one 8889 per spouse. i found that other self-prepared apps also only allow one 8889 per taxpayer.

this is what i found searching the web

If you have multiple Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), you do not need to file multiple Form 8889s. Instead, you should report all your HSAs on a single Form 8889. However, if you are filing jointly and both you and your spouse each have separate HSAs, you will need to complete a separate Part II and Part III for each spouse on the form. For a single filer, only one Form 8889 is allowed. For a Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) return, two are allowed, one for each taxpayer. 

and i also found this which MAY contradict the above

If you have multiple Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and there were transactions in each during the year, you will need to file a Form 8889 for each HSA that had activity.  This is necessary to accurately report all contributions and distributions associated with each account. It’s important to ensure that the total contributions across all HSAs do not exceed the annual contribution limits. 

the second may only be referring to cases where spouses each have their own HSA account or when a non-dependent child has their own HSA and is covered under your family plan. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies