Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA and medical funds for 2024

Hello --- I am single and under the age of 50. I have a HSA to which my employer contributes $1,000/year. This year (and next), I will be having a medical treatment for which I will need to spend nearly $3,300 this year and roughly $2,500 next year. I have slightly more than this combined amount in my HSA already.

I am interested in the best recourse to save on taxes. Is my following understanding correct? I can withdraw the $3,300 from my HSA and put back $3,100 this year. Next year, I can withdraw $2,500 and put back $3,100.     

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Yes. But in 2025 you can contribute 3,300. 

dmertz
Level 15

The HSA contribution limit for 2024 is $4,150 for full-year self-only coverage for someone under age 55.

The HSA contribution limit for 2025 will be $4,300 for full-year self-only coverage for someone under age 55.

Yes.  For 2024, you can contribute an additional $3150 (on top of the employer contribution), and then withdraw it immediately to pay the bill (or to reimburse yourself if you already paid the bill), and the contribution will be tax-deductible.  You can do the same for 2025.  The only requirement is that the medical procedure must occur after the HSA is opened (which it will).  

Let me add that I recommend that you contribute the maximum amount to the HSA every year, even if you don't have planned medical expenses.  In many ways, an HSA is a better way to save for retirement than an IRA.  With an IRA, you get a tax deduction for your contributions, and you pay tax when you withdraw.  With an HSA, you get a tax deduction for your contributions.  Then, if you withdraw the funds for medical expenses, it is completely tax-free, and that includes medicare premiums and prescriptions after you retire.  Plus, over age 65, you can withdraw the money for any reason and only pay regular income tax with no penalties.  So it's like an IRA but with a tax-free option for medical expenses.  I would recommend you maximize your HSA contributions before maximizing your IRA contributions, as long as you are eligible. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies