Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA and Excess Contribution

I made an HSA contribution on 1/5/2023 on my own from my checking account (not with any employer).  I was told I had contributed more than the allowable amount and so then received back into my checking account the overpayment amount on 2/6/2023.  I received a 1099-SA for the overpayment and recorded this in the HSA section of TurboTax.  I am unclear if I have captured these numbers correctly.  For example, if the amount I originally contributed was $2000 and the overpayment I received back was $500, what amount should be reflected on line 13 and line 26 on Schedule 1 (which then populates form1040 line 10) and on form 8889 line 2 and line 14a.  Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

HSA and Excess Contribution

Are you saying that TurboTax told you that you had $500 in excess HSA contributions in 2023?

Assuming this to be the case:

1. line 2 on the 8889 s/b the $2,000 that you originally contributed.

2. Line 14a should be $500 plus any distributions for qualified medical expenses (you did not mention if you had any).

3. Line 14b (not that you asked) should be the $500 in excess contributions withdrawn by the due date.

4. Line 13 on Schedule 1 should be $1,500 (i.e., the actual personal deduction that was not in excess).

5. Line 26 on Schedule 1 should also be $1,500 plus any other adjustments on lines 11 through 25, not including line 13.

Note: TurboTax should have asked you if the excess was from your direct contribution or from your W-2. The reason is that these contributions, when in excess, are treated differently. I am assuming that you told TurboTax that your direct contribution of $2,000 was in excess. All the answers above would be different otherwise.

If so, let us know and we will update this answer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies