Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to submit Caregiver Credit, what forms do I complete and does it have limits

I pay for a caregiver who cares for my parent who does not live with me and has dementia and Alzheimers, it is quite expensive and heard recently that I could include this as a 'caregiver' credit.

I am not able to find this in Turbo tax - where do I submit it?  I thought may be under Medical.

I think I read the limit was $3,000.  Is that correct?

Thanks for the assist!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

How to submit Caregiver Credit, what forms do I complete and does it have limits

The child and Dependent Care credit for 2022 is $3000 per qualified person.

To qualify for this credit, you must meet all of these criteria:

• You (and your spouse, if filing jointly) must have earned income
    • The earned income requirement for one spouse is waived if they were a full-time student or disabled (if they lived with the other spouse for more than 6 months in 2022)
  • You paid caregiving expenses so that you (and your spouse, if filing jointly) could work or look for work
    • The work/look for work requirement for one spouse is waived if they were a full-time student or disabled (if they lived with the other spouse for more than 6 months in 2022)
  • You paid a caregiver to care for a Qualifying Person. The caregiver can't be:
    • Your spouse
    • Your dependent
    • Your child if they were under 19 on the last day of 2022, even if not your dependent
    • The parent of the Qualifying Person, if the Qualifying Person is your child under the age of 13 during 2022
  • Your filing status is not Married Filing Separately (except under certain circumstances)
  • You can provide the care provider's name, address, and their SSN, ITIN, or EIN on your return (unless it's a tax-exempt organization)

Follow these steps to get to the Child and Dependent Care Credit in TurboTax.

1. If you're not in your return already, sign in to TurboTax and select either Review/Edit or Pick up where you left off under Deductions & Credits.
  2. Select Search from the top menu, type in child care credit, and select the Jump to link that appears above the search results.
  3. Answer the questions to complete the section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Super helpful!  My mom lives out of state, so this is why I have to pay.  However, my spouse does not work.  So this helps me know, it won't work in my case.

Appreciate the direction & support.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies