Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report U.S. China Tax Treaty? I have e-filed my case, but I found that my condition fits Article (20C), so I want to edit it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

How to report U.S. China Tax Treaty? I have e-filed my case, but I found that my condition fits Article (20C), so I want to edit it

If you have already e-filed your tax return, you must wait until it has been processed and then you can amend it to include your information regarding the China Tax Treaty,

Make sure you are following these guidelines when you amend your tax return:

• Wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • Use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • You'll see your original return when you begin your return 
  • Your refund calculator will start at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Make changes only to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • In general, you three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

The links below provide instructions on how to properly amend your tax return. Select the link that corresponds to the TurboTax product that you are using. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download

Article 20 of the U.S.-China income tax treaty allows an exemption from tax for scholarship income received by a Chinese student temporarily present in the United States, so if you are a student:

• Each student is eligible for the $5,000 of tax treaty benefit. 
  • The terms of the US China tax treaty covers both non-resident alien students and resident students.

Click here US China Tax Treaty and Students, for additional information on Claiming Treaty Exemption for a Scholarship or Fellowship Grant

Click here for additional information on the China Tax Treaty.

Click here for "Should I File an Amended Tax Return?" The IRS has an interactive tool to help you determine whether to file an amended tax return.

Click here for information on amended tax returns.

Click here for additional information on amended tax returns.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies