Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aspins
Returning Member

How to report 1098s and Mortgage Interest Deduction for Primary (converted to Rental) and new Primary home?

To the best of my knowledge I've split the interest on the converted primary home to Schedule A and Schedule E, based on the date of occupancy (modifying the interest on the 1098 for the reported section). I think a fraction (based on the 750k limit from Pub 936) of the interest of the new loan for the new house and all of the points should also be deductible? Is this right?

Further Details (adjusted/simplified for privacy):

• Home 1:
    • bought mid-2017 
    • outstanding mortgage balance in 2022 is 550k at beginning of year
    • moved out mid-may 2022
    • converted to rental 
    • first tenant from aug 1, 2022
    • total year 20k interest
  • Home 2:
    • bought and moved into mid-may 2022
    • outstanding mortgage balance in 2022 is 1100k at beginning of term
    • paid 15k points
    • total year (from mid-may) 25k interest
    • two 1098's for this home, since initial mortgage holder sold to another bank

Both Home 1 and Home 2 were primary residences for different portions of the year, split by mid-may.

For mortgage interest specifically, I've split the interest on Home-1 by occupancy (7k as primary, 13k as rental) - in turbotax I report the 13k as rental expenses and the 7k as modified interest on the 1098 for that home. I then also include the other two 1098's.

As I understand it from Pub-936, due to the 750k limit post 2017, I think that only 750/~1100 = ~68% of the interest for Home 2 is deductible. Which is 68% of 25k  = 17k. All of the points paid on Home 2 should also be deductible since it is the primary residence.

I believe this should be a total deductible interest+points of 7k+17k+15k = 39k. However TurboTax seems to be showing only ~18k of deductible interest.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How to report 1098s and Mortgage Interest Deduction for Primary (converted to Rental) and new Primary home?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies