Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to do tax refund with use resident alien identity using turbotax and find the place to put 5000 china tax treaty in?

I'm a Chinese F1 opt student that  is working in a company. I check the terms that I belong to resident alien and still can use the 5000 china tax treaty in my 1040 form. But There's no place for resident alien to put this in in my W-2 form. Does TurboTax doesn't have this function? Then I'll need my $39 back.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

How to do tax refund with use resident alien identity using turbotax and find the place to put 5000 china tax treaty in?

You can enter up to $5,000 as negative income with the description China Tax Treaty. Follow theses steps:

• Open your return to Wages and Income
  • Scroll to Less Common Income 
  • Select Start or Revisit next to Miscellaneous Income, 109-A, 1099-C
  • Select start for  Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099
  • Did you receive other wages, select Yes, continue
  • household, continue, sick pay, continue, Medicaid, continue
  • Any other earned income? Yes, continue
  • Source of Other income, select Other, continue
  • Enter the description and negative amount   China Tax Treaty, negative $5,000 or the maximum your are entitled to claim.

Depending on your state, you may need to add the income back into the state income.

China - Tax Treaty Documents

Claiming Tax treaty Benefits states:

The payee can claim a treaty exemption that reduces or modifies the taxation of income from dependent personal services, pensions, annuities, social security and other public pensions, or income of artists, athletes, students, trainees, or teachers. This includes taxable scholarship and fellowship grants without filing a Form 8833.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies