Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to determine a reasonable room and board amount for 529 Plan for student living at home?

For qualified 529 plan expenses for a student living at home, I realize I need to look at the school's COA for room and board and not exceed it.  However, I have read hundreds of posts and am surprised I can't find some sort of formula or average for coming up with a reasonable estimate for these expenses. For example, if the student lives at home as part of a family of 4 and has expenses just like when they were a minor, with no separate receipts for groceries, internet, eating out, etc., isn't there some sort of "typical" estimate a person can use for these expenses, such as "an average student eats $x.xx per day (or consumes 1/4 of the total groceries)" + 1/4 of the internet, etc"?  I'm not necessarily trying to find the max amount, I'm just trying to determine a fair amount that wouldn't trigger an audit and wouldn't require a pile of separate receipts for one person for a year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

How to determine a reasonable room and board amount for 529 Plan for student living at home?

The cost allowable must be lower than the cost of living on campus. Some colleges specify for “commuters” or “at home.” The student at home would only be able to use the 529 savings for the lesser amount. Some colleges do not make any distinction in cost between on-campus and living at home.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Food expenses (for the "board" part) are easy. Take the average of what you spend for food in one month to feed a household of four, and divide it by four. That's what it costs to feed one mouth in a household of four each month.

For the rental portion, there is no magic formula. A room that would rent for $500/mo in Wisconsin, would rent for $2000/mo in Hawaii or in California.

If you were renting the room to a non-family member, what would you expect them to pay? What do you believe is the maximum they would be willing to pay?

Also keep in mind that if you are claiming 529 funds were used to pay "you" for room and board, then you're expected to report that income on your tax return. Since you're renting the room to your son, it would be reported on SCH E as a part of your personal 1040 tax return. It would also behoove you to have a written and legally enforceable contract, just in case of audit. The fact that you are renting to a family member has the potential to draw the attention of the IRS, because if you are renting to a family member at less than FMRV (Fair Market Rental Value) then those rental expenses that exceed your rental income are not allowed and can't be carried forward either. You just lose them, permanently and forever. That can bite big time in the future when you sell the property and have to recapture depreciation.

Finally, keep in mind that the room and board must be "in direct support" of the education. For example, if the student does not enroll for the summer semester, then any room and board paid for that semester with 529 funds is not "in direct support" of the education, and therefore is taxable income to the named beneficiary whose SSN is on the 1099-Q.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies