Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dnaue

How to correct reporting sale of second home from main home to second home? Sale was at a loss.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
tagteam
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

How to correct reporting sale of second home from main home to second home? Sale was at a loss.

@dnaue wrote:

When I did what you suggest the only difference I saw was that the word 'main' was taken off of the IRS Form 8949 with the Form D looking exactly the same. Do you think that this is correct? 

Yes, it should be correct. Please understand that there is virtually no difference between the two types of transactions since you cannot recognize (deduct) a loss on personal use property, like a second home.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you mistakenly entered a sale of your second home as your main home, simply delete the sale from the Sale of Home (gain or loss) section and enter the sale of your second home in the Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other section and check Second Home on the following screen (see screenshot).

sh.png

dnaue

When I did what you suggest the only difference I saw was that the word 'main' was taken off of the IRS Form 8949 with the Form D looking exactly the same. Do you think that this is correct? The sale of the home was a loss sale. What forms do I need to send to the IRS since this would be amended return for 2018?

tagteam
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

@dnaue wrote:

When I did what you suggest the only difference I saw was that the word 'main' was taken off of the IRS Form 8949 with the Form D looking exactly the same. Do you think that this is correct? 

Yes, it should be correct. Please understand that there is virtually no difference between the two types of transactions since you cannot recognize (deduct) a loss on personal use property, like a second home.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies