Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how is form 8962 aditional PTC credit accounted for in turbo Tax

I am self employed and was receiving some APTC for 2019. I deducted my health premiums paid for 2019 (the amount I paid for premiums after subtracting APTC).

Since my income for 2019 is a little lower for 2019 than I had precticed, I am recieiving an additional $1300 PTC per my form Turbo Tax form 8962.

Does Turbo tax adjust my self employed insurance premium deduction for this additional PTC credit, or do I need to manually reduce my self employed insurance premium amount in Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If when entering your form 1095-A you have attached the policy to your Schedule C, then TurboTax will reduce your self-employed health insurance premium by the additional premium tax credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thank you for the reply.

How do i check that I indeed did attach it to my self employed business?

I'm pretty sure I did, but when i go back to that section, it goes right to the 1095-A Ialready entered and I can no longer see the questions to see how I answered.  thanks

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Look on Line 16 of Schedule 1 to see your deduction for self-employed health insurance.

Thank you. I see why I it may not be accounting for the credit.

I see a number on line 16, but i'm not not sure how it was calcuated, but will check.

I just went back and looked, I don't enter my health premiums under insurance payments=>health insurance premium (I enter $0 there).

I enter our health premiums under Employee Benefits => Health Premiums beause I have section 105 HRA set up with my wife as an employee.

In this case, should I not include the health premium amount under Employee Benefits => Health Premium since Turbo Tax seems to automatically calcuate the self employed health insurance deduction and places it on sched 1 line 16 based on the 1095-A entry?

otherwise, it would be factoring in the health premiums twice, correct?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Correct! The program specifically states not to enter health insurance premiums in the business section for marketplace policies.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies