Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How does writing off business travel benefit me on my tax return

I recently started a home based travel agency business as a part time job.  I have a few business related trips I am thinking of taking this year (cruise inspections to Florida  as well as a conference at an out of country resort). I live in Iowa, so I want to know how taking these trips, which WILL benefit my business in the long run, will benefit me on my tax return.  Do I need to sign up for a separate Turbo Tax package to manage my part time business from our full time jobs?  I work this part time business thru a travel agency out of California.  My only 'pay' is the commissions I make on any trips I book.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelDC

How does writing off business travel benefit me on my tax return

Independent stylist for Stella and Dot- need to report expenses but have no revenue from this

Taking business expenses will offset income from other sources, thus lowering your tax bill (or increasing your refund). You can deduct expenses as long as you can prove that you opened or were in business in the year expenses were incurred. To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. Please note that if you do not have profit for three out of five years, IRS might question your profit motive.

As a travel agent, you are considered to be self-employed. You report both income (if any) and expenses on Schedule C/Business Income & Expenses. 

TurboTax will guide you step by step through the process. 

• Type in business expenses in the search box in the right hand corner of your screen
  • Click jump to business expenses.

If you do have some income you can enter it on the same page.

Note: Based on your expenses, you may have to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies