Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

juersn

How do we report our new home? My boyfriend and I bought a new house last year, but we are unmarried, so how do we report our mortgage?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

How do we report our new home? My boyfriend and I bought a new house last year, but we are unmarried, so how do we report our mortgage?

As long as you were both legally liable, such as both names on the mortgage, you can split the home deductions in any manner agreed upon as long as not more than 100% of the interest and taxes are deducted between both returns. For example, you can deduct 50% on your return, and he can deduct 50% on his return. But, you cannot deduct 100% while he deducts 50%.

Keep in mind, real estate taxes and mortgage interest are itemized deductions. You would only itemize if your total deductions are greater than the standard deduction for your filing status. In 2019, if your filing status is single, your standard deduction is $12,200.

Itemized deductions include medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of AGI, mortgage interest, state and local taxes including real estate and personal property taxes (capped at $10,000), and charitable contributions.

Splitting these deductions may result in a reduced ability to itemize. You may have to separately determine the most favorable outcome for both of you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

since you are not married there is some tax planning you can do.   that's becuase the one of you with the higher adjusted gross income could take 100% of the itemized deductions. because you are not married the other could take the standard deduction $12,000.    you each need your own account to do their online return.     you may want to get the desktop deluxe software so you can do multiple senarios to see what is the best way to allocate your deductions.

if total itemized deductions are $12,000 or less, then itemizing will not benefit either of you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies