Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report foreign social security payments?

I receive my pension from Mexico through their social security, I forgot to add it to my original  tax return now I need to amend
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Report as other income. 

• Click Federal > Wages & Income>all income>
  • Go to the last selection, Miscellaneous Income and click Start
  • Go to the last option, Other reportable income and click Start
  • When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" say yes and then type in a description and the amount to report it on your tax return. For the description, type in Foreign Social Security
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@agtzc1961-gmail- , agreeing with my colleague  @Bsch4477  on the process to report  foreign social security payments to an US person ( citizen/ GreenCard ), please not  that in this particular case the US-Mexico Tax treaty , under article 19 of the treaty declares as to which  contracting state  ONLY has the right to tax  this income -- see below :

"  ARTICLE 19
Pensions, Annuities, Alimony, and Child Support
1. Subject to the provisions of Article 20 (Government Service):
a) pensions and other similar remuneration derived and beneficially owned by a resident
of a Contracting State in consideration of past employment by that individual or another
individual resident of the same Contracting State shall be taxable only in that State; and
b) social security benefits and other public pensions paid by a Contracting State to a
resident of the other Contracting State or a citizen of the United States shall be taxable only in
the first-mentioned State.  "

Thus you DO NOT report the report the SSA  payments from Mexico to US -- Mexico has the right to tax these  incomes under its laws.

Does this make sense ?   Is there more I can do for you ?

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies