Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get to a $300/600 full Foreign Tax Credit as in IRS Pub 514? My TT 1099-DIV Box 7 wants BOTH a f1116 and Sch A checked. S-by-S says I have AMT. I don't. A bug?

"Use f1116 regardless" is unchecked on the Info Wks page. S-by-S took me straight to doing f1116; no options. There was unused FTC last year. Not using this year. On the carryover page the AMTFTC column duplicates the FTC entry since there was no AMT.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

How do I get to a $300/600 full Foreign Tax Credit as in IRS Pub 514? My TT 1099-DIV Box 7 wants BOTH a f1116 and Sch A checked. S-by-S says I have AMT. I don't. A bug?

If you don't want to use Form 1116 this year, you can try deleting the form and that may resolve your issue as follows:

1. Click on Tax Tools in the left menu bar
  2. Click on Tools
  3. Look under Other Helpful Links and choose Delete a form

Find the form or schedule you want to remove in the list and click on the delete icon to remove it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. That works. But with the deleted Form 1116, the foreign tax carryover, good for up to 10 years, is gone. If I need to submit a continuing year-by-year list for the IRS, I may have to manually enter that on a Blank Form. But the chance I will ever get to use the carryover is slim to none.

I have a strong suspicion that the Form 1116 carryover credits that include an AMT table is responsible for the page I previously got for the Simplified Limitation Election for AMT. My non-AMT f1116 amounts equal the AMT f1116 amounts for every year, indicating the AMT did not apply for every one of those years. I have never been subject to AMT. This has been such a nemesis with TurboTax in past years that I wrote it up one year and mailed it in. All the choices for that election are permanent. The IRS will know it is not an AMT year, but TurboTax may carry an SLE flag from year-to-year that could burn you down the road, particularly if you have no clue what the choices mean and click one to move on.  Best to start a return from scratch in the first AMT year, if any. There should be a Does Not Apply Check Box for non-AMT filers, overruled by the Final Review if AMT applies. With no carryover this year due to the $300/600 option, I should hopefully have no problem with this next year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies