Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I exclude HSA distributions related to over the counter drugs?

The solution below says I should enter ALL my medical expenses in the medical deduction section in Turbo Tax and that Turbo Tax will then subtract those costs reimbursed from my HSA. The majority of my HSA reimbursements are for non-prescription over-the-counter drugs, which are not deductible on Schedule A. Should I nonetheless include OTC drugs in the medical deduction section? If my OTC costs exceed my reimbursement, won't this leave OTC costs on my Schedule A?

Can I deduct medical costs paid with HSA or MSA funds?

SOLVEDby TurboTax1636Updated December 29, 2021

The IRS won't let you deduct medical expenses paid with HSA or MSA funds. Those funds are already tax-free and deducting them as medical expenses would be double-dipping.

When you get to the medical deduction section in TurboTax, enter all your medical expenses, including those you paid from your HSA or MSA. We'll subtract the portion paid from your HSA/MSA (as reported on your 1099-SA form) so you don't deduct them again as medical expenses.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

How do I exclude HSA distributions related to over the counter drugs?

No, the expenses you paid with an HSA should not be included with your medical deductions for Schedule A. So there would be no need to include the things you purchased with the HSA money.  Thanks to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, you can use your FSA or HSA funds to buy over-the-counter medications without a prescription.

To correctly post a 1099-SA

1. Deductions & Credits
  2. Scroll to HSA, MSA Contributions
  3. Tell us about the health-related accounts you had in 2021 = HSA = Continue
  4. Did you use your Health Savings Account (HSA) to pay for anything in 2021? = Yes
  5. OK, let's get this info from your 1099-SA = enter your information
  6. Now, let's make sure your personal info matches your 1099-SA = Continue
  7. Let's get the numbers from your 1099-SA = Continue
  8. Did you spend your HSA money on medical expenses only? = Yes, I only used it for medical expenses

You do not have to list them, but you should keep track of them for your records.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies