Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter my cash contributions with a standard deduction? I see "1040/1040SR Wks: Charitable contributions: Charitable contributions has an unacceptable value."

The first column under 10a says 5, and I'm not sure why. The second column's 10a is blank and the second column's 10b says 300. Not sure how to enter it to solve the "check this entry" notification.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I enter my cash contributions with a standard deduction? I see "1040/1040SR Wks: Charitable contributions: Charitable contributions has an unacceptable value."

you must use the cash contribution worksheet and enter the amount of "money" i.e. cash contributions. the $300 won't show up immediately on line 10b.  apparently, it should appear once you wrap up itemized deductions.  until then TT doesn't know that your standard deduction will exceed your itemized deductions and therefore qualify for this deduction. 

caseymour

TT knows I am taking the standard deduction and it still won't allow an amount on line 10b. I am not sure how to proceed.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If you are in TurboTax Online, the screen Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act appears as the end of Deductions & Credits. First you have to pass the screen Based on what you told us, the standard deduction is best for you at the end of Deductions & Credits.

But you have to qualify for the standard deduction before the screen appears.  So you may want to change the value of one or more itemized deductions to $1 so that you qualify for the standard deduction.

Follow these steps:

At the top of the screen, click on Deductions & Credits.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Wrap up tax breaks.

Continue through several screens.

At the screen Based on what you told us, the standard deduction is best for you, click Continue.

At the screen Any Charitable Cash Contributions? enter the dollar amount.

Continue through Federal Review to make sure that things look correct.

Then restore your itemized deductions dollar amounts.

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies