Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening NOW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I complete Hawaii N-15 so I can get a refund on a tax withheld on sale of property?

How do I get a refund for tax withheld for lot that we sold last October 2023?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

How do I complete Hawaii N-15 so I can get a refund on a tax withheld on sale of property?

You will need to prepare a part-year or nonresident on Form N-15 if you do not reside within Hawaii.  

You can prepare your Hawaii return within TurboTax by following the steps in this link.

Once you have entered the applicable information as it applies to Hawaii, you will need to go back to the federal interview section of the program to enter any tax withheld on the sale of your lot located in Hawaii.

1. Log back into TurboTax and select Deductions & Credits under the Federal section.
  2. Scroll down on the page titled "Your tax breaks" until you see the section titled Estimates and Other Taxes Paid.
  3. Select start/revisit to the right of Income Taxes Paid.
  4. On the next page, select the section titled Other Income Taxes Paid in 2023 to pull down the menu.  
  5. On this menu, select start/revisit to the right of Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099.
  6. On the following screen titled "Tell us about any tax withholding that you haven't entered yet," under the state withholdings section, select Hawaii and then enter the amount of Hawaii taxes withheld on the sale of the lot.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies