Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bposs3

How do I calculate my health expenses for health, dental, vision? How do I calculate out of pocket expenses for prescriptions, copays, and other health expenses?

For example, during a time when I was uninsured, How do I deduct money spent on health expenses for prescribed medication
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

How do I calculate my health expenses for health, dental, vision? How do I calculate out of pocket expenses for prescriptions, copays, and other health expenses?

Out of pocket medical expenses can be included on your return as part of Schedule A itemized deductions.  The total of all of the medical expenses must be greater than 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income before they are deductible.  

As you go through your return using TurboTax, you will see a question asking if your medical expenses were greater than a certain dollar amount.  That amount is the threshold that you must meet in order to consider deducting your medical expenses.  Even if your total does not exceed the amount shown on the screen, you can enter 'yes' so that you can enter the totals anyway.  They may not be deducted on your Federal return, but could be used on your state return if applicable.

To determine what you need to enter, check your own records to see what you spent out of your own pocket for medical expenses.  Do not include any amount that was reimbursed by insurance or a distribution from a Health Savings Account.  If you did not keep track of your spending, your pharmacy can provide a listing of your prescription expenses for 2023 and your doctors may be able to do so as well.

To learn more about what may be deductible as a medical expense, take a look at the following TurboTax help article:

What kinds of medical expenses are deductible?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies