turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I attach a pdf to the ohio return to substantiate scholarship donation credit?

the ohio return requires documentation to be attached in order to claim the scholarship donation credit, how is this done?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

How do I attach a pdf to the ohio return to substantiate scholarship donation credit?

It depends. Presently, Turbo Tax does not have the capability of submitting attachments to the program.  You will need to print the Ohio State return, include the documentation in the paperwork, and mail the state return in accordance with the mailing instructions given to you by Turbo Tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Dave:

Thanks...this is a major limitation in using Turbotax.

Will be looking for another suitable program in the future.

That's the way it is with all tax software.

only a PDF of 1099-B details, when required, can be attached to an e-Filed tax return.

@Scan1040 

Fanfare:

Thanks for your response but most programs other than Turbo tax allows PDF to be attached.

Turbo  Tax does not allow PDF's to be attached.

Actually TurboTax does allow certain attachments for certain state programs.

These are special cases.

I suppose Ohio is not one of them

TurboTax Online may prompt you for a PDF of  1099-B details.

@Scan1040 

Unfortunately, TurboTax did not let me know that I had to attach documents before I paid the fee to electronically file my Ohio return. Today I received a letter from the Ohio Tax Commission telling me that I must provide this documentation, along with their letter to me, within 12 days from today unless I wish to re-file my return. I will be contacting TurboTax about the possible refund of my payment since now I have to mail things anyway. TurboTax has always been great, but they missed it on this one - should have told me that I needed to mail my return with the appropriate documentation and that I could not e-file. Frustrated.

While you still can't upload the scholarship donation receipt in TurboTax, the process of uploading it afterward to the state website was pretty straightforward. I filed on 3/8. By the morning of 3/13, I got an e-mail asking for the receipt with two options - upload a .pdf of the receipt online, or mail in a paper copy with a printout of the request. I uploaded the file on 3/13, and by 3/19, I received notice that my refund was approved for direct deposit. 

If you haven't, you might want to set up an OHID account on the state tax website, Home - eServices (ohio.gov) That might be necessary to have the quick online submission option rather than having to wait for a letter in the mail and then mail it back. To me, the very short delay was worth the filing fee. If you file everything by paper, including the scholarship receipt, it could take several weeks to process.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies