Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How come the rental loss on Sch E does not offset W2 income based on taxpayer work over 750 hours?

I work a return with Sch E rental loss. Wife work as a real estate professional was selected. but how come the rental loss does not offset W2 income? Do I miss something to click? 

Please advise. I use TurboTax desktop version. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How come the rental loss on Sch E does not offset W2 income based on taxpayer work over 750 hours?

You need to keep going. The screen is in the Property Profile section.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

She not only has to qualify as a Real Estate Professional, she also has to materially participate in the rental operations.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527#en_US_2023_publink1000234059

I selected both creterias: over 750 hours and 50% of her time involved in rental property. but It still does not work. 

@csdl2024 wrote:

I selected both creterias: over 750 hours and 50% of her time involved in rental property. but It still does not work. 

The following screen is in the Property Profile section of the program. You need to check "Yes".

Untitled.png

Hi tagteam, 

Thanks alot for the help. 

My turbotax desktop  does not have this screen. Please refer the below screen. It is said automatially calcuated will be conduct. However, the return does not automatically offset passive off to reduce the earned income. 

750 hours 50%.JPG

You need to keep going. The screen is in the Property Profile section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies