Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get NYS IT-249 to populate for Long Term Care Credit if I don't itemize on Federal Return (so the credit "drops out" of my return info)?

The federal data is not transferring to my NYS return because I cannot itemize on the Federal return. HOWEVER, NYS still permits the credit for Long Term Care premiums paid by individuals. Turbo Tax fields for that credit do not give an "individual" option but require the entry of "Partnership, S corporations, estates, or trusts."  How do I get the credit to show in NYS-IT 249?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

How can I get NYS IT-249 to populate for Long Term Care Credit if I don't itemize on Federal Return (so the credit "drops out" of my return info)?

It's possible that TurboTax has determined that you're not eligible for the credit.

According to General information in the Instructions for Form IT-249:

For tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2020, the credit has been amended to allow a New York resident taxpayer to claim the credit only if the taxpayer’s New York adjusted gross income (NYAGI) is less than $250,000.

So, if your New York AGI is too high, you won't be eligible for the credit.

Additionally, the credit isn't refundable.  This means that you can claim it only to the extent that it offsets your New York tax.  So, if you have no state tax, or the tax has already been offset by other credits, the credit won't apply.  See line 21 of Form IT-249

If neither of these situations appear to apply to you, feel free to post back with any relevant information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies