Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gbworld

Home sale after divorce

We jointly owned the house, but sold after divorce. When I enter in the sales amounts, I get a huge tax bill for capital gains, which is incorrect. How do I reflect I only gained half the money?

1. Half everything on the taxes

2. Find an easy "I got divorced button" that will calculate it for me? Please be the right option.

3. Edit the tax form? Can't seem to edit in form mode.

I am inclined to open excel and half everything, as I cannot figure out the best route to go otherwise. She was on the original home and this home.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Home sale after divorce

You should only report 50% of the sales proceeds and cost for the house.  It was your primary residence for any 24 of the 60 months leading up to the sale then you can exclude up to $500,000 of gain - total ( $250,000 for each of you).   There is no "Divorce" button that halves everything.  You just report what applies to you.  In this case, 50% of the sale.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Home sale after divorce

reporting may well depend on what's in the divorce decree. it could state that you get full ownership of the house but your ex as a property settlement gets 50% of the net cash when sold. something like this would mean you report and pay taxes on 100% of the gain. wording varies from state to state and we can't see what the divorce decree states as to the house. 

if only your SSN is on the 1099-S then you need to report 100% of the sales price and then subtract 50% of the gain if she was co-owner at the time of sale. that's because the IRS will match what you report with what's on the 1099-S. 

f

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies