Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sly77

Home refinance costs

I refinanced both my rental and home properties. However, there is no where I can list my closing costs for my home. Where can I add these expenses?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Home refinance costs

You can't. Points paid as part of a mortgage refinance usually must be deducted over the life of the loan. If you refinanced to a 15-year mortgage, for example, then you'd deduct a portion of the points each year for 15 years.

When refinancing for a second time, or paying off a loan early, a taxpayer maydeduct all the not-yet-deducted points from the first refinancing when that loan is paid off. Other closing costs, such as appraisal fees and processing fees, generally are not deductible

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Home refinance costs

You can't. Points paid as part of a mortgage refinance usually must be deducted over the life of the loan. If you refinanced to a 15-year mortgage, for example, then you'd deduct a portion of the points each year for 15 years.

When refinancing for a second time, or paying off a loan early, a taxpayer maydeduct all the not-yet-deducted points from the first refinancing when that loan is paid off. Other closing costs, such as appraisal fees and processing fees, generally are not deductible

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies