Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home office business expenses - there was a spot to include utilities, internet etc and I can't find it and it's something I can include in the write off. Where is this?

home office business expenses - there was a spot to include utilities, internet etc and I can't find it and it's something I can include in the write off. Where is this?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Home office business expenses - there was a spot to include utilities, internet etc and I can't find it and it's something I can include in the write off. Where is this?

If you are an employee with a qualified home office, you can enter your utility costs if you use actual expenses instead of the simplified method. Communications costs (phone, internet, etc.) are entered as job-related expenses.

To revisit the Home Office interview (for employees):

• Continue working on your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click My Account (top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type 2106.
  • In the results box, highlight 2106, then click GO.
  • On the Job-Related Expenses Summary, click Edit next to the entry for your job.
  • Continue through the interview until you get to the Home Office Summary, then click Edit next to the entry for your office.
  • Continue through the interview. When asked How do you want to enter your home office expenses for 2016?, select I'll enter actual expenses and click Continue. (Click the first screenshot below for reference.)
  • Continue through the interview. You can enter your utility costs on the Tell us about your home expenses screen. (Click the second screenshot below for reference.) When finished, click Continue. Note: Communication expenses (including internet) are entered later in this interview.
  • You'll need to continue through the job-related expenses interview and go through several screens before you reach Job-Related Expenses, where you may enter your internet expenses and any other communication expenses. (Click the third screenshot below for reference.)

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function (instead of "My Account") to search for the topic.

Can I take the home office deduction?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302005
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies