Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WJABill

Home cost basis, mileage during construction

I own land and am planning on contracting to have a house built on the land. I will need to travel to the land during construction for oversight, review and will do some work myself. Can my car mileage from my current home to the to-be-built home be added to the cost basis of the new home? I can find nothing in IRS regulations which address this specifically. I "believe" it is a legitimate cost which can be included in the cost basis.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

All costs to build the home are included in the Basis, including required vehicle expenses.

Is this your personal home?  Or is the home for business ?  Or will be rented out?

I'm not aware of anything that allows the Standard Mileage Rate to be used for personal purposes.  If that is the case, you would need to calculate the Actual Expenses of the vehicle for a personal home.

WJABill

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Your note confirms my hunch: if businesses (i.e. a contractor) can include mileage expenses, then it makes sense that a private individual can do the same.

The home will not be rented out.

The "ownership" and living situation is a little complicated, and I intentionally did not include it in my original post as I think it confuses the basic question. The home will be owned as "tenants in common" amongst 3 family members. One of the family members (i.e. one of the tenants-in-common) will be living in the home.  Each of the owners/tenants-in-common will incur some mileage expenses traveling to the home site during construction. My thinking is that each of the owners/tenants-in-common can record their mileage and use it against the cost basis for the day, far down the road, when the home is sold.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies