Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi I installed solar panels this year. What are some of the credits that I get? And do I get all the credits in one year or is it split up over several years?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Hi I installed solar panels this year. What are some of the credits that I get? And do I get all the credits in one year or is it split up over several years?

@psiryessir-gmail you receive a solar credit; that is it.  The amount depends on the amount you spent that qualifies for the credit.  It is considered a 'non-refundable' credit, which means it reduces Line 22 on your tax return to as low as zero, but can not be negative.  Any part of the credit not used (because the credit is higher than Line 22) can be used in the next tax year.  

suggest looking at your 2023 tax return and Line 22. 

At the federal level, there is a 30% credit for parts and labor. The credit is claimed in the year the system is installed, inspected and turned on, using the full price of the system, even if you are paying over time.  If the credit is more than your tax liability, any unused credit will carry forward to next year.  This can be confusing.  Your tax liability is what the government keeps at the end of the year after all other credits and deductions.  For example, if you have $6000 of withholding and get a $1000 refund, your liability was $5000.  Likewise, if you have $4000 of withholding and owe an extra $1000, your liability was $5000.   If your solar credit was more than $5000, you would get $5000 this year (meaning all your withholding would be refunded) and the rest would carry forward. 

There may be a state credit, you would need to check with your state or let us know what state you live in.

If you get a local utility rebate or other state cash incentive, you claim any federal or state tax credits based on the net price.  For example, if the system is $20,000 and you get a $2000 rebate from your utility or other state program that is not a tax credit, then the price you would report on your tax return is $18,000.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies