Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file with standard deduction instead of listing all of my expenses when I am self employed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

How do I file with standard deduction instead of listing all of my expenses when I am self employed?

If the expenses have to do with your business, they are entered in the business section.  They have nothing to do with the standard deduction.  They are subtracted from your business income.

If you don't wish to itemize deductions on your return, you don't have to enter things like mortgage interest and property taxes.  TurboTax will take the standard deduction for you.  You might want to enter these amounts -- they may help on your state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi. Assuming you are talking about your standard deduction and expenses related to your wage-earning job. If you choose -- you don't need to enter those expenses since they are not deductible on your federal return. But depending on your state -- this might help reduce your state taxes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies