Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zulfiya66

Hello. My mortgage interest looks duplicated. I do work from home and use 1/4 of my house as an office to earn my income. I'm itemizing deductions.

So does the mortgage interest is being considered twice for the purpose of writing off interest related to 1/4 of my house used as an office?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Hello. My mortgage interest looks duplicated. I do work from home and use 1/4 of my house as an office to earn my income. I'm itemizing deductions.

If your home office is one quarter of your house, then one quarter of your mortgage interest should be reported with your home office expenses on Form 8829.  The other three quarters of the mortgage interest should be reported on Schedule A itemized deductions.

Pay close attention to the messages on the screen when you are entering mortgage interest in both sections of your return.  TurboTax will let you know if the personal portion will automatically transfer to the Schedule A after entering it for the home office.  Then, when you get to the Schedule A section, the amount that has already transferred from the home office entry should be shown on the screen so you should not enter it again.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies